Q: I bought a set of aftermarket HID headlight assemblies, but I'm having doubts.

So I bought a set of real cheap, like 100 dollar cheap HID's. You already can see my reason for second thoughts. Theyre from a guy who PCS'd out of here. The headlights are manufactured in Taiwan and I imagine the soldier built these. I have doubts because of the low price, and there are wires everywhere. Best I can tell, the actual welds look like they're solid, ballasts look ok on both, but the wires are messy enough that they were peeking past the actual bulb. I tested them and they work with the exception of one of the low beam halogens. Im also concerned for my cars central computer. I'm no expert but I have doubts. Thoughts on this?

Hello. The headlights on your car are controlled by computer. If the car was not originally equipped with HIDs, the system is set to look for the voltage that standard headlights consume. That is how it determines a bulb is out and illuminates the "bulb out" warning light. Since HIDs consume less voltage than a standard halogen headlight, the control unit thinks a bulb is out and not sending a signal to it once it thinks the bulb is out. You may have to visit a dealer or find someone local that has VAG-COM software to go into the control unit and change the settings to HID. If you are looking to have this checked out, have a certified technician inspect the relevant electrical systems to see what actions may be needed.

• I bought a set of aftermarket HID headlight assemblies, but I'm having doubts.