Q: I am trying to remove the alternator, but I need to free up more space.

I'm trying to remove my alternator. It seems like for this model the alternator is in a terrible location. I have removed the circuit, main electrical line (one with the bolt on it) and am about to remove the tensioner.

Is there any way I could free up more space. I'm not the best with working on cars but the alternator is in such an odd location and I don't want to unscrew anything that's not necessary.

I have pictures which could better assist you.

Basically there is a large metal pipe to the left of the engine and slightly above the alternator and serpatine belt that is blocking the space I need to remove the alternator.

There is somewhat of a breakdown of the situation here:http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-2nd-gen-2004-2009/746205-2007-rx-350-alternator-replacement.html

But i need pictures or general assistance.

Hi there. As a former Lexus master technician, this was one of the jobs that seemed like the engineers weren’t in their right minds when designing it. We had to loosen the core support that holds the radiator, support it away from the alternator, and then pull the alternator out without letting it slip; if it falls and hits the radiator, you will have a leak.

I strongly suggest acquiring a qualified technician for this one. One of YourMechanic’s certified technicians can assist you with an alternator replacement, and will make sure the job is done smoothly and properly.

3. I am trying to remove the alternator, but I need to free up more space.