Q: I am trying to do distributor timing.

I had to replace an intake gasket on my 1994 Chevy S10 Blazer. In doing so I had to pull the distributor, I did mark where it should have gone, but by the end the mark had come off. Now I am trying to redo the timing on it and can't get it to work right. Could I have messed something up when I drove it with the timing not right? Or do I just need someone with more "know-how" to do it and pay the big bucks? If you can, I'd like to know how hard it is to do it the right way and about how much a shop might charge me to do so. Thank you.

A: Hi there, thanks for writing in. You would ...

Hi there, thanks for writing in. You would need to disconnect the timing connector near the distributor and set the timing by using a timing light, then reconnect the connector. You may have to pay about an hour labor for a mechanic to set the ignition timing.

If you would like help, YourMechanic can come to your home or office to adjust the distributor timing for you. Depending on where you are, we can generate a quote for you.