Q: I am trying to buy a truck at the moment, and have found one but it needs work.

I am looking at a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 that is lifted on 37" tires. The owner says that the four wheel drive is out, but doesn't know what is wrong with it. Furthermore, he doesn't say it, but there is way more wear on the inside of the tires than the outside. I was wondering how much approximately all of this would cost to be fixed.

Hi there:

The problem with buying an altered suspension vehicle is that you don’t know how the upgrade was completed. The wear on the inside of the tires is typically attributed to poor suspension alignment; but it’s possible that it could be tie rods that are damaged. You might want to have professional mobile mechanic complete a pre purchase inspection before you buy the truck to determine if there are extensive issues that will cost you more money down the road.

• I am trying to buy a truck at the moment, and have found one but it needs work.