Q: I am looking into getting a Trooper on Craigslist. The add says "wouldn't shift into 3rd gear."Can this be an inexpensive fix?

I am looking into getting a Trooper on Craigslist. The add says "wouldn't shift into 3rd gear."Can this be an inexpensive fix?

The transmission not shifting into third gear is going to be an internal transmission clutch or shift valve that can be causing the no shift. You would want to allow at least $2000 for the transmission to be replaced in the pricing when you purchase the vehicle. Remember the vehicle is almost 20 years old. You should smell the oil to see if it is burnt indicating the transmission clutches are burnt.

3. I am looking into getting a Trooper on Craigslist. The add says "wouldn't shift into 3rd gear."Can this be an inexpensive fix?