Q: I am having trouble with my key fully turning in the ignition to start. It will turn halfway and I hear a clicking noise.

My key will not fully turn in the ignition to actually start the car. I have to continuously turn it, it sometimes take me 15-20 mins for the key to turn all the way to start the car. While I'm turning the key I do hear a clicking noise as if something is not catching.

Hello, thanks for writing in. The symptoms you are experiencing can commonly be caused by a faulty starter, starter relay, or ignition switch. A clicking sound when you turn the key can sometimes be caused by a faulty starter or starter relay. A starter will click if the electric motor in the starter is worn and unable to engage, while a relay will click if it has internal issues. It may also be possible that the ignition switch or cylinder are the source of the issue. If they are worn out they may not be providing adequate contact for the vehicle to properly start. I would try to determine where the noise is coming from and go from there. If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.

• I am having trouble with my key fully turning in the ignition to start. It will turn halfway and I hear a clicking noise.