Q: I am having trouble switching from park to drive.

So when I get my car it starts up normal. But I have to push the brake pedal 5-20 times before it registers so I can switch to reverse or drive. So when I push the pedal the brake lights don't even come on until I can change the gear. What is this problem? Thank you guys in advance for the help. PS the brakes work fine while I'm driving. Just when I first get in the car to change out of park.

A: The most common problem is going to be the ...

The most common problem is going to be the brake light switch not making contact. If you push on the brake and the brake lights do not come on intermittently then you should look under the dash above the brake pedal to check the brake light switch wiring to see if one of the wires are broke or close to breaking at the wire connector to the brake switch. Pull on each wire to see if the wire is broke inside the plastic cover from bending back and forth. If the wire is broken then a wire repair would be needed on the connector or have connector and the brake switch replaced. The brake lights are needed to disengage the shifter from park.

In order to avoid a unnecessary repair, consider having one of our mobile technicians come to you and diagnose your shifting issue firsthand.