Q: I am having acceleration problems.

When I press on the gas to accelerate, not gently, the ets(electronic throttle system) light comes on. I know I need to get an oil change so that may or may not be a factor. however, as of right now, I don't have the full amount to get it fixed and my dealership as well as a few shops require cash up front. so in a sense, I feel stuck in a hard place. The ets light situation has recently occurred in the past month. Is the engine the problem? Or would it be a minor fix which would be less costly? I was wondering what would I have to do to get it fixed and how much would it cost?

If you are due for an oil change, then by all means get it done. But, changing the oil has no relation to the electronic throttle system. Most vehicles today do not have a mechanical connection from the gas pedal to the engine. The electronic throttle system consists of electronic sensors, switches, and motors. There are sensors on the gas pedal as well as at the throttle body. When you press the gas pedal, the sensor on it tells the engine control unit exactly how far you have pushed the gas pedal. That is then relayed by the ecu to the throttle body, then it opens the amount corresponding to how far you have pushed the gas pedal. Electronics are used nowadays because it makes for smoother operation of other systems like the traction control, electronic stability control, and anti-lock brakes.

A certified technician should diagnose why the ets light is on. Randomly replacing parts is not a good idea as parts can be expensive. Also, if you replace parts that do not resolve the issue, they may not be returnable for refund as most electronic components are not accepted for refund by most auto parts sources.