Q: I accidentally sent a high voltage through a Kia Rio.

I accidentally sent a high voltage through a friend's Kia Rio, I think the model is between 2008-2010. Well to my surprise, it starts and has full electricity, but it has no drive in forward or reverse. Is there a sensor I need to replace?

Hi, thanks for writing in. The vehicle is lucky to have started. There are a few solenoids and sensors involved with the transmission that would cause the vehicle to not move. One of which is the transmission range or position sensor. If this has failed, the computer will not see the input given by this sensor. The computer will not know that the gear has been selected and the transmission will not make the change. There are also transmission shift solenoids that play a large role in the actual changing of the gears. You will likely need to have the vehicle scanned for troubleshooting codes. With any type of sensor failure, the computer should register a difference with the signal and send a code for this exact reason. This may shed some light and give you a better idea of what to look at first. If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs, such as a transmission position sensor replacement, as needed.

3. I accidentally sent a high voltage through a Kia Rio.