Q: Hybrid car's battery cannot recover on repeated short trips

The battery in my hybrid car keeps going dead. This has occurred six times in one year. I took it to the Ford dealership, but they couldn’t find any problem. When the battery dies, I can not start the car and I either have to have it jump-started or towed. My car is used for just local short commutes and less than 3 miles. This problem is happening within those few three miles. After a week of that small amount of driving, the battery can not recover and then it depletes. I have read of other drivers with this hybrid model (plus all years of the C-Max model), having this same problem. I have learned that the battery capacity is not large enough to recover when driving repeated short trips. There are no warnings when my battery is low or when it fails. In your professional experience, is there a solution for this battery problem?

Considering that the vehicle is such a new model and has only been out for a couple of model years, I would say that the issue is likely one that needs to be worked out by the manufacturer. If you drive your vehicle normally, and it is so new, there should be no reason that the vehicle is constantly dead unless it was a manufacturer issue.

There may eventually be a recall or a TSB posted about this issue once it has happened enough times. If a recall happens, the vehicle will be taken back from the manufacturer in order to perform certain repairs that would be related to the recall issue.

The only advice I could give in the meantime would be to maybe drive the vehicle a little longer than normal during short trips, such as taking the long way somewhere or taking joy rides once in a while for your vehicle. If the issue with your vehicle does not go away, Ford may be willing to let you trade it in for a different vehicle due to the excessive problems that you are experiencing with it.

3. Hybrid car's battery cannot recover on repeated short trips