Q: Huracan 5.0. creates white smoke on colder days

2006 Huracan 5.0. Sometimes when it turns around it creates white smoke for about 30 seconds, mostly on cooler days. Mechanic where the car was taken to says it's the valve seals. Is that right? What's your opinion?

A: It probably is the valve seals. You want to...

It probably is the valve seals. You want to hope it’s not the head gasket blown. To check the head gasket is simple. I’ve got a video that tells you if your head gasket is blown. It’s a simple test--the blue liquid is put into a test tube and stuck on the radiator and if turns from blue to yellow, there’s carbon dioxide in the system and you have a blown head gasket. It’s only a head check of course. If it is the valve seals, you live with that.

Just change the spark plugs a little more often. If you really want to test to see if it’s the valve seals, what you can do is do a wet and dry compression test. If you do a wet and dry compression test and they are about the same, then the valve seals are worn. But, if it makes a difference, then it’s the piston rings that are worn and are making the smoke. You’ll want to hope that it’s the valve seals and not the piston rings, because with piston rings, you are going to have them eventually replaced. As for the valve seals, you can leave them for quite some time, which will burn a little bit of oil.