Q: Humming while driving

Humming while driving

The sound could be coming from several different places. The most common source of a humming sound is the tires. If the tires have uneven tread wear or the tread is an aggressive tread, then they will be noisy on the highway above about 30 mph.

The rear end or front transaxle can get noisy if the bearings are bad. The transmission can have internal problems causing noises. Check your tires by running your hand over the tread. If they feel rough and bumpy then the tires are one of the sources of the noise. Once the tires are replaced or rotated the noise will either go away or start to as long as they have good tread. After the tires wear even, have them rotated by a mechanic on a regular basis to help lower the chance of the noise coming back.

That being said, I’d recommend having a mechanic pinpoint the source of the noise to ensure the the proper repair is made.

3. Humming while driving