Q: Hub Nuts

When torquing the hub nuts is it done off the ground or on the ground? I am hearing both stories.

A: Whenever the center hub nut is tightened to...

Whenever the center hub nut is tightened to specifications the wheel should not even be mounted to the hub and therefore the nut is tightened when the vehicle is raised with no pressure on the hub. Now if you were referring to the wheel lug nuts tightening as if you just removed a flat tire and were installing a spare tire then you should torque the lug nuts to specifications with the tire off the ground. We all know that you cannot hold a tire and torque the lug nuts at the same time. I would recommend tighten the lug nuts as much as you can with the tire off the ground and then lower the vehicle just enough for the tire to touch the ground lightly and then torque the nuts to specifications, then you can lower the tire all the way to the ground and double check that the torque is correct.