Q: howling noise?

I have a howling noise (kinda like a high pitch hum) that sounds like its coming from the front of the truck, but it could be the back, not very good at pinpointing lol. i heard it could be wheel bearing, tires, or rearend. the thing is, it doesnt matter if im accelerating, breaking, or coasting, the noise will still happen, but only at certain speeds, like 25 mph, 45 mph, 60. and when it starts making the noise, the only way it quiets up is if i make a right turn. now this got me to believe it was my driver side bearing, but it has no play, and i cant tell if its got the metallic grind when its up on a jack bc the brake pad rubs slightly against rotor. so what could it be? wheel bearing or something worse?

Hi there. Thanks for writing in today about the problem with your 96 GMC C1500. The howling noise when driving is typically an indication of many of the items you mentioned: wheel bearings being worn out, tires being cupped, or having a slipped belt or faulty gear drive. However, it can also be something entirely different, like an AC belt, alternator, or fan belt that is causing a similar noise. The symptom that caught my eye initially was when you mentioned that it comes back after making a right hand turn. That shows me that it could be with the brakes (like a misaligned or warped rotor).

The truth is that there are literally dozens of potential issues going on with your C1500. Sometimes a good pair of experienced ears and mechanical knowledge can expedite the diagnosis and repair most issues simply through a good test drive. If you want to have this looked at, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the noise and let you know what needs to be done.