Q: How to take starter off?

I need to know how to take my starter off cause it won't turn over it just grinds

A: Hi there! Prior to the turn of the century...

Hi there!

Prior to the turn of the century, replacing a starter on most vehicles was a rather simple process. However, as engine technology has evolved, and more electronic sensors added, trying to remove a starter without removing multiple ancillary components is virtually impossible. On a 2001 Audi A6 Quattro, the engine compartment is incredibly compact. The best source of information for removing a starter is to purchase a vehicle service manual from Audi for your particular vehicle. This will give you the steps needed to replace a starter for your vehicle. If you would rather have a professional take care of this, have a certified technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to perform this task for you.