Q: How to know if an exhaust muffler will fit my kawasaki KDX 1992 200cc

How to know if an exhaust muffler will fit my kawasaki KDX 1992 200cc

The best thing to do is to go to a motorcycle parts store and have them look it up for you. If you are doing something custom, it is simply a matter of size. You will need a tape measure and patience. The first thing you will need to know, is if the physical size of the muffler you want to use is something that will fit your motorcycle? Take the height, width and length measurements of the space you have to install the muffler. Choose a muffler that fits in this range.

The next measurement is crucial. You will either be inserting the end of the muffler inside or outside of the pipe coming off of your motor. You can do either, but you will want to know the inside diameter (ID) and the outside diameter (OD) of the pipe on the motor. When choosing the new muffler, you will need to be sure the new muffler is of a size that will fit inside or outside the existing exhaust pipe. The best thing to do is to install in on the outside of the present exhaust pipe.

Another thing you should definitely consider, two stroke motors are very sensitive to back pressure created by the muffler. They are actually referred to as pipes. Choosing the pipe is part of tuning a two stroke. If your looking to play with the tuning of your bike, then play away. If you just want to know what pipe is the best to use for your intended use, then I suggest speaking with someone who has done a lot of work on your particular bike. They will be able to tell you what to choose.

There simply is no substitution for experience with such a change on a two stroke bike.

In addition, this is an automotive based website. I just happen to know quite a bit about setting up a two stroke, but I don’t have direct experience with your particular bike.

Good luck!

• How to know if an exhaust muffler will fit my kawasaki KDX 1992 200cc