Q: How to know if aixle or drive shaft

Noise under car when making turn sound like scraping noise or like two pieces metal rubbing together.

A: An axle and a drive shaft are basically the...

An axle and a drive shaft are basically the same thing. If you were to differentiate between the two, a drive shaft has u-joints and a CV (constant velocity) axle uses CV joints. The scraping noise heard when turning is a very common pattern failure on front wheel drive vehicles. Of course, I haven’t actually heard the noise, but based on your description, the most likely cause here is a bad CV axle joint.

It should be fairly easy to determine what side of the car has the damaged axle. If you see a ripped CV axle boot, this is a good time to replace the axle as well. Usually a ripped boot is the precursor to a failed CV joint. If it is a failed CV axle, I would describe the sound as a ratcheting sound. Certainly metal rubbing together, but they would make a ratcheting sound while turning.

There can be other failures that can cause this sound, so before you run out and replace an axle, be sure there isn’t something like a rock caught between the brake disc and the dust shield at the wheel.

I’d recommend having the car inspected by a certified mechanic who can diagnose the noise in person, then they can make the appropriate repairs.