Q: How to diagnose a fan clutch?

My truck on Expressway just gets only t 40 or60 miles per hour.in winter time with engine off fan clutch truck is operating, which means my truck last to long to warm up.truck sounds roughly also,truck consume to much gasoline as well,. theres another thing, my power steering switch is broken also,i know this detective switch causes poor engine performance (power steering switch).and i would like more especificaciones información to diagnose fan clutch,how to diagnose this engine cooling problem,this poor engine performance,this excessive gas consumption, etc, please help me up with some información. thanks

A: If the fan clutch is a thermostatic type th...

If the fan clutch is a thermostatic type then you should be able to start the vehicle cold and using a shop towel, dangle it in the fan blade while keeping your hands clear, to see if the towel stops the fan blade. It should stop it. Now remove rag from the fan and let engine warm up, running the engine at 1500 rpm. The engine should get to operating temperature within 3 minutes. If it takes longer than four or five minutes and the fan still checks okay at idle, then you have a stuck open thermostat. Replace the fan clutch if it locks up all the time or if the fan wobbles too much. With the engine off, the fan should spin when cold and now wobble back and forth. If it’s proven to be faulty and you need some help with the replacement of your fan clutch, consider YourMechanic. A certified technician will be able to come to the vehicles location and service your car.