Q: How to check if there is a leak on a brake line near myster cylinder

My mom has an 'O7 Ford Escape. Shae wanted to get some work done and was told that she has a small leak in the brake line near the master cylinder.When she went back later, she was told it was worse and when she looked she found no leak at all. Scam? Thanks.

A: I would guess that it's a scam. When I ...

I would guess that it's a scam. When I was a kid, I saw those 60-minute ones where they work at some sleazy gas stations and guys have little tubes of oil in their pockets, and when no one is looking, they get them out and squirt oil all over the place and say "look, it's leaking." So, basically, all you've got to do is get a clean cloth and wipe that area pistol clean and come back later. If it's still dry, it was a scam. Because leaks don't fix themselves.