Q: How to change ideal position sensor on a 04 Dodge Dakota v6

Idles at very high rpm on first start up

A: Hi there, thanks for writing in. Assuming y...

Hi there, thanks for writing in. Assuming you are talking about a throttle body sensor, this is normal for the motor to idle high on the first start up. This is the engine's way of accelerating the warm up of the engine. The throttle body temperature sensor monitors the temperature of the throttle body in order to determine how much to enrich or lean out the air/fuel mixture at warm up. If this is not functioning properly, you should have a check engine light on in your dash. You may also notice the truck running poorly as well if this is not functioning correctly.

If you would like help with this high idling, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make any repairs as needed.