Q: How should I have my vehicle towed?

How should I have my vehicle towed?

A: While it’s hoped that you never need to hav...

While it’s hoped that you never need to have your vehicle towed, it’s definitely a possibility. Knowing the right and wrong way to do it can help prevent serious damage. Here’s what you should know:

2WD: If your vehicle is two-wheel drive, it can only be towed with the front wheels raised. A flatbed is recommended, but you can also have it towed using a dolly to support the front wheels.

4WD: For four-wheel drive models, you can only have it towed on a flatbed or by using two dollies to keep both the front and rear wheels off the ground. Neither the front nor the back tires can touch the pavement while towing.

Tip

In an emergency, you can tow the vehicle for a short distance with all four wheels on the ground. The transmission should be in neutral, and you should not go over 35 MPH. Don’t tow it any farther than 50 miles.