Q: how much to replace starter ball park on BMW 2010 535xi

when I put the key in and push the start button sometimes engine does not start. I have to take it out and try a few times and then it works. sometimes it starts at the first time - intermittent. also when it does not start it makes a clicking noise.

A: Hey there. This may potentially be related ...

Hey there. This may potentially be related to what is called a starter relay (much less expensive than a starter) which directs power to the starter from the battery when you turn the key or push the start button. This is often times a common issue when these go bad and will cause the clicking sound you describe. It is also something that is usually very intermittent and can happen without warning. If you want to be more certain of which part to repair, I would suggest having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home or the car's location to diagnose and repair the starting issue.