Q: How much is it to fix a 2005 S40 trunk that no longer opens? It appears the trunk wiring needs replacing.

What is the common costs to repair the trunk when the switch and wiring appear to fail on a 2005 S40? The trunk no longer opens with the keyfob or electronic switch on the trunk. I've tried replacing the switch and it still does not work. Online suggestions say the trunk wiring needs replacing. Please help!

The cost depends on where the fault is. If the fault is simply a loose, or poor, ground connection and that is found on a quick initial inspection, the cost to both diagnose and repair your issue is pretty much limited to the cost of the diagnostic. If the failure exists in a cable bundle that is inaccessible, and new wiring has to be placed alongside, it will be more costly. Also, if the failure is due to a electronic component, such as a module that receives the radio frequency signal from your key fob, the cost would involve replacement of that part, too. The bottom line is the cost depends solely on EXACTLY what is wrong. If you request an electrical component/circuit diagnostic, a certified mechanic will be dispatched with the vehicle wiring diagram. With that diagram, it is matter of methodically tracing the control circuit and pinpointing the fault. Once the problem is pinpointed, the mechanic will let you know of the exact nature of the repair and the cost. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.

3. How much is it to fix a 2005 S40 trunk that no longer opens? It appears the trunk wiring needs replacing.