Q: How much can I expect to pay for a crankshaft position sensor repair? My car won't start now, and when it did, it cut back off sho

How much can I expect to pay for a crankshaft position sensor repair? My car won't start now, and when it did, it cut back off shortly after. A guy came and checked it with a code reader and it came back as a crankshaft position sensor problem. Is this an accurate diagnosis?

Hi there. No, this is not an accurate diagnosis. This is simply a guess related to the code that is stored. The ECM stores a code when a fault is detected. It does not know what, how, or why the fault occurred, only that it occurred. A code is there to lead a qualified technician to the area/system that needs proper diagnosis. There could be a problem with the crank sensor, the reluctor wheel on the crankshaft, the electrical connector at the sensor, the connector at the ECM, any connectors between the sensor and ECM, or there could be a ground problem. Proper diagnosing includes much more than just reading a code and calling a part bad, it means performing tests and being able to show you what has failed and why. Reading a code as a diagnosis is like eyeing up the bulls eye on a dart board; you may hit the center, but more than likely it’s a miss. I suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts. Your Mechanic has several technicians available that can assist you with a car is hard to start inspection.

3. How much can I expect to pay for a crankshaft position sensor repair? My car won't start now, and when it did, it cut back off sho