Q: How long would it take for a mechanic to replace an ignition switch in a 2000 Escalade?

When I move the ignition switch to start, I blow a 40 amp fuse under the hood. It is labeled IGN A. Want to know what you think it might be and if ignition switch, how long would it take a mechanic to replace it. Don't want to put too much money into this money pit.

Hi and thanks for contacting YourMechanic. If the 40 amp fuse is blowing when turning on the ignition switch to the start position, there is nothing wrong with your ignition switch. The starter solenoid has melted inside the starter case and the starter needs replaced. I recommend replacing the starter with the OEM specified part number.

If you need further assistance troubleshooting and fixing your vehicle, then seek out a technician, such as one from Your Mechanic, that can service your starter at your own location.

• How long would it take for a mechanic to replace an ignition switch in a 2000 Escalade?