Q: How hard is it to fix the latch on my tailgate?

The latch doesn't work on my tailgate so the only way it stays shut is the topper "door"

Hi there, thanks for writing in. I’d be happy to offer my insight. The easiness or difficulty of fixing this has a lot to do with what is wrong with it. If the issue is that it will not stay shut, then one of the end latches are broken or the handle is binding. I usually check to see if it is just in need of lubrication. I will use a silicone lubricant on the back side of the handle and on the latches on each end of the tailgate.

If that does not help, then I check to see if both of the internal cables are installed correctly to the back of the handle. If they are, then remove the latches on both ends of the tailgate and inspect them for binding or broken parts and replace what is needed.

If you would like help with this replacement, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to perform the replacement for you.