Q: How driving through the water affects transmission vents and seals

When I drive through high water, how is water prevented from going into the transmission vents and the bearing seals and such? Thanks so much for your advice.

A: In many cases, it doesn't. Of course, w...

In many cases, it doesn't. Of course, while driving, the transmission differentials that have vent holes in them will have bubble comes up and water come in. The bearings are sealed because they are sealed from the outside atmosphere anyways. But if you drive a really long time under water, it will start to permeate the bearings and start ruining everything. They are not made to go under water for very long. The military tried stuff like that. They even tried making an airplane in World War I, that was a submarine, but all the seals were worn so the engine would break and all the bearings were rusty from the salt water. So it's not that smart of an idea to drive in water for too long. I've noticed drivers do it more because it's fun and they can rebuild stuff when it breaks. But if you're not willing to do the maintenance yourself, I would not recommend driving very long in high water.