Q: How Does Underbody Lighting on Cars Work?

How does underbody lighting on cars work?

A: Underbody lighting on cars is an accessory ...

Underbody lighting on cars is an accessory that is most commonly installed by the vehicle owner or a specialty shop. The type of underbody lights used today are either LED or neon, and are available in a variety of colors.

Some lights are installed to enhance the view from underneath the vehicle, mainly used for collector or show cars. These lights can also bring attention to a particular vehicle for sale at a sales lot. Most underbody lights, however, are installed by the vehicle owner for the “cool” factor.

LED lights are connected to the vehicle’s 12 volt DC electrical system and are controlled by a switch that is installed inside of the vehicle.

Running neon lights on your vehicle requires the installation of a power transformer which converts 12 volts DC from the vehicle’s electrical system to around 10,000 volts AC. Transformers are usually supplied in the lighting kit from the manufacturer.

If you are considering installing underbody lights on your vehicle, please consult the laws of your state to determine which lights, if any, are allowed. Some states allow certain colors while other states don’t allow underbody lights at all.