Q: How does the rearview monitor work when backing up or down a hill?

How does the rearview monitor work when backing up or down a hill?

Your rearview monitor can be used to help when you’re backing your car up or down a hill. However, it’s important to remember a couple of things here:

1. Never rely only on the rearview monitor. You still need to physically check behind and to the sides for obstacles, people and other vehicles.

2. The distance between the camera and various points shown in the display is greater than you think. The distance guides actually shift, so bear in mind that it will take a little longer to reach a particular point than what it seems it should.

3. While the guides add extra distance, objects don’t work this way. They’re closer than they appear to be (because of the wide angle lens used on the rearview camera).

4. If you’re backing up near a projecting object, it’s better to rely on your own vision than the rearview monitor (because of the skewed distance).

3. How does the rearview monitor work when backing up or down a hill?