Q: How does the Personal Safety System™ work?

How does the Personal Safety System™ work?

A: Your car’s Personal Safety System™ is a com...

Your car’s Personal Safety System™ is a comprehensive network of devices, equipment, sensors and warning lights designed to help keep you and your passengers safe during an accident. If an impact occurs, the sensors analyze the severity.

This will determine which air bags are deployed, or if any air bags are needed to protect the driver and/or passengers. Depending on the feedback from the sensors, the seat belt pretensioners may be activated (generally front or side impacts).

Your system may deploy the air bags with different amounts of force (inflation speed and pressure) depending on how severe the impact is. The system may also determine that the seating position of the driver or passenger is too close to allow an air bag to deploy at all.

Tip

If your air bags don’t deploy during an accident, it means that the sensors did not determine the situation was severe enough to use the air bags.