Q: How does a repair shop verify it's the fuel pump and not something else before they do the repair?

I experienced a sudden loss of power while driving on the highway. It was still running, but pressing the accelerator did not increase speed in the usual way. I down shifted to 3rd which was too much but then to 4th, but still strange power loss. Pulled over to side of road, engine still running, I revved engine in neutral 2 to 3x and then engine died. Tried to restart but could not. When turning key, sound was more than clicking or a more dead sound. It turned over but wouldn't catch. Maybe the sound like the engine was flooded. Had it towed, engine still didn't start. Car had decent coolant and oil. There were no smells to the engine.

Hi there, thanks for writing in. I’d be happy to help. The shop will first scan the computer to see if there are any codes stored that would cause the loss of power. Then the fuel pressure would be tested, as well as the ignition, to see if it produces spark. Once fuel pressure is verified to be cause, then power to the fuel pump connection is verified. If you have power to the pump and the pump does not run, then the pump in the fuel tank and fuel filter should be replaced. If you would like further help, consider having one of our expert automotive technicians come to your home or office to inspect this loss of power issue for you, and make any repairs as needed.

3. How does a repair shop verify it's the fuel pump and not something else before they do the repair?