Q: How do you operate the manual transmission?

How do you operate the manual transmission?

If your vehicle is equipped with a manual transmission, you have the ability to select the gear you want on your own (the transmission doesn’t work automatically). You’ll need to shift gears while driving according to your speed and performance needs. You have five gears, plus reverse. The center position (no gear selected) is neutral. Here are the speed ratings for shifting from one gear to the next:

• First to second: 10 MPH
  • Second to third: 20 MPH
  • Third to fourth: 30 MPH
  • Fourth to fifth: 37 MPH
  • Reverse: Never shift into reverse without coming to a complete stop first.

Tips

• You have to push the clutch pedal all the way down before shifting into or out of any gear to prevent grinding the gears and damaging the transmission.

• Don’t drive with your foot on the clutch pedal as this will keep the clutch constantly engaged and result in damage.

• There is a lockout feature that prevents you from shifting into reverse from fifth gear.

• Don’t park your car with the transmission in neutral. Put it in first if you’re flat or facing uphill. Put it in reverse if you’re facing downhill. Always use the emergency brake.