Q: How do you operate the automatic transmission?

How do you operate the automatic transmission?

A: If your car is equipped with an automatic t...

If your car is equipped with an automatic transmission (most Fusion models but not all), you need to know what each gear does in order to drive your car correctly. Here’s a quick introduction to transmission operation:

• Park: Put the car in park when you want to lock the transmission and will remain stationary for some time. Always engage the parking brake first.

• Reverse – If you need to back up, put the car in reverse. Never try to shift into reverse without coming to a complete stop first.

• Neutral – This disengages the transmission. The car will roll, but you cannot accelerate. The engine can also be cranked in this position if necessary.

• Drive – Use this gear for normal driving.

• Overdrive/Grade Assist – This is a button located near the top of your gearshift handle. Press this to disengage overdrive and start the grade assist system (the transmission will only use gears one through six).

• Low – Use this gear for situations where you need the maximum engine braking or torque (climbing very steep hills). Do not use this gear for normal driving.

Tips

• If your car is equipped with the SelectShift Automatic™ transmission, you can use the + and – buttons on the gearshift to shift manually.