Q: How do you open the hood?

How do you open the hood?

There are many times that you may need to get under the hood of your car. It’s necessary for checking the oil, the power steering fluid, the brake fluid, engine coolant and more. It’s also necessary for replacing or checking the battery, as well as for replacing the air filter. Here’s how to open the hood on your car.

1. Make sure you’re parked on a level surface.

2. Set the parking brake.

3. Locate the hood release under the dash on the left side of the driver’s foot well.

4. Pull the hood release.

5. Go to the front of the car.

6. Lift the edge of the hood and locate the latch in the center.

7. Push the latch to open the hood.

8. Raise the hood.

9. Locate the prop rod.

10. Remove the end from the securing clamp/clip.

11. Place the prop rod in the mounting hole in the hood.

12. When you’re done, take the prop rod out and replace it while supporting the hood with your other hand.

13. Lower the hood gently until it is just about a foot from being closed.

14. Drop the hood so that it latches securely.

15. Check that the hood is closed.

Tips

• Never open the hood with the wipers raised as they will be damaged or even broken.

• If the hood latch doesn’t move freely when you push it, have your car inspected.