Q: How do you jumpstart the battery?

How do you jumpstart the battery?

The battery in your car should last for several years without any need for maintenance. However, it will eventually succumb to old age. It’s also possible that your battery will be drained by something else – leaving the hazard lights on, for instance. In these circumstances, you’ll need to jumpstart the battery. Here’s how to do that:

• First, open the hood and check the battery. If the sides are bulging, do not attempt to jumpstart it. Clean any corrosion off the terminals if the battery is in otherwise good condition.
  1. Park the vehicle with the booster battery close by but don’t let them touch.

2. Turn on the heater fan, but turn the other accessories off.

3. Connect the positive clamp to your battery’s positive terminal.

4. Connect the other positive clamp to the donor vehicle’s positive terminal.

5. Connect the negative clamp to the donor vehicle’s negative terminal.

6. Connect the other negative clamp to a piece of exposed metal under your hood (not part of the fuel system).

7. Start the donor/boosting vehicle’s engine.

8. Crank your engine.

9. If it doesn’t start immediately, wait a couple of minutes and try again.

10. Remove the jumper cables in the reverse order of installation (starting with the negative cable attached to your car).

11. Have the battery tested and replaced if necessary.