Q: How do you jump start the engine?

How do you jump start the engine?

If your battery is dead, you’re not going to go anywhere until you’ve gotten it jumped off. Of course, there’s a right way and a wrong way to do this – here are the steps you need to follow to do it the right way:

1. Turn off the ignition and any accessories (radio, air, etc.).

2. Open the hood.

3. Connect the positive cable to your battery’s positive terminal.

4. Connect the other end of the positive cable to the positive terminal on the other battery.

5. Connect the negative cable to the other battery’s negative terminal.

6. Connect the other end of the negative cable to the engine mounting bolt to the left of the valve cover on your engine.

7. Start the engine on the other car.

8. Crank your engine. If it struggles, check the connections and wait for a minute or two, then try again.

9. Disconnect the battery cables starting with the negative clamp attached to the engine ground. Next, disconnect the negative cable from the other battery, followed by the positive cable from your battery and then the positive cable from the other vehicle.