Q: How do you install a car seat that uses the lap belt?

How do you install a car seat that uses the lap belt?

A: While most newer car seats are designed to ...

While most newer car seats are designed to use the Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren (LATCH) system, there are still some models on the market that rely on the seat belt to secure the car seat. Here’s how to install one of them:

1. Position the car seat correctly (in the back seat – never in the front).

2. Follow the car seat manufacturer’s directions and route the belt through the back of the car seat (or over the front if you’re using a rear-facing car seat).

3. Buckle the seat belt.

4. Pull the slack out of the shoulder belt portion.

5. Lock the retractor: To lock the retractor, pull the shoulder belt slowly until it will not extend any farther.

6. Check that the car seat is secure.