Q: How do you extend the life of this transmission?

I know the HC is a dud because of Honda's early CVT defects with first generation hybrids. My transmission mechanic took a look and said the only way to fix the issues (rattling/vibrating in Drive/full stop, rattling when accelerating from 0-15mph.

Is there any workaround to extend the life of my dud of a transmission? Advice, procedures or general knowledge about this issue would be greatly appreciated.

*Currently saving for a new car and probably won't invest too much more into it.

About the only thing you can do to extend the life would be to service the transmission (fluid/filter replacement) more often than Honda recommends. The filter on this transmission is difficult to access for a normal transmission service. You can simply drain and refill the transmission fluid once a year. The transmission pan has a drain plug similar to the engine oil pan, so it would be as simple as changing the engine. Just make certain you use the correct fluid specified for your transmission.