Q: How do you correctly use booster seats?

How do you correctly use booster seats?

If your child has outgrown his or her car seat, but isn’t large enough to sit unaided in the back of the car, then you’ll need to use a booster seat. Just like car seats, it’s essential that you correctly position and secure the booster seat for safety. Here’s what you need to do:

1. Position the booster seat so that your child’s head is below the top of the seatback. If this cannot be done, then you should use a high-back booster seat, rather than one without a back.

2. Make sure the lap and shoulder belt fit correctly. The lap belt should fit over your child’s hips, and the shoulder belt should run across his or her chest and over the shoulder. It should not touch the neck, and should not touch the upper arm/outer shoulder area.

3. Make sure that the booster seat is secure after your child is buckled up.

Tips

• Never use a booster seat without the shoulder belt, as this can greatly increase your child’s risk of injury.

• Follow the instructions from the booster seat manufacturer for the best/safest installation.

3. How do you correctly use booster seats?