Q: How do you buckle the seat belt correctly?

How do you buckle the seat belt correctly?

Your seat belts are more important to your safety than the air bags or any other safety feature in the car. However, you have to use them correctly for them to work, and that means knowing how to buckle them the right way. Here’s how to do it:

1. Sit as far back in the seat as possible.

2. Pull the lap and shoulder belt from the pillar, over your body and toward the buckle.

3. Slide the tongue into the buckle. It should click.

4. Make sure it’s locked securely.

5. Check the position and adjustment of the lap and shoulder belt. The lap belt should be over your hips and the shoulder belt should cross the center of your chest, and then run over your shoulder. It shouldn’t touch your neck, or hang off your shoulder. It also shouldn’t sit above your shoulder.

Tip

To release the belt, just press the release button on the buckle.