Q: How do the side air bags work?

How do the side air bags work?

Your car has a number of air bags located throughout the cabin. Your side air bags can be found in the left side of the driver front seat and the right side of the passenger front seat. They’re small and designed to inflate during side impacts. Here’s what you need to know about them:

1. The air bag will usually only inflate during a collision on that side of the car (a driver side collision will make the driver side air bag deploy).

2. Some impacts may be severe enough that both side air bags will deploy.

3. The passenger seat side air bag will be turned off (and will not inflate) if:

• There is no one in the seat

• The system detects that the passenger is too short (this is to prevent injury)

• The system thinks the passenger is in the way of the air bag

Tip

The Side Air Bag Off light on the dash indicates that the system has deactivated the passenger seat side air bag.