Q: How do I use the floor mats properly?

How do I use the floor mats properly?

A: Floor mats aren’t the most technologically ...

Floor mats aren’t the most technologically advanced components of your car, but they’re important. It’s also important that you use them correctly. If they’re not properly secured, they can actually become a safety hazard. Here’s what you need to remember about your floor mats:

• Make sure your driver side floor mat is correctly anchored to the floor. The anchor should hook through the eyelet. If the floor mat is not anchored, it could slide under the pedals, causing safety concerns.

• The passenger front and rear floor mats should lie flat on the floor. Otherwise, they could hinder movement of the front seats.

• If you use aftermarket floor mats, make sure they’re sized specifically for your car and that the driver side mat has an anchor ring.

Never put a new floor mat over an old one. The new one can slip, causing safety concerns.