Q: How do I tell if the master or slave cylinder is causing the clutch to malfunction?

The pedal engages but upon returning it does not have its normal smooth function does this almost every time the clutch is pushed and I shift a gear then the pedal does not wanna come back

A: Hello there, many common faults will preven...

Hello there, many common faults will prevent your clutch from returning smoothly on your 2001 Subaru Forester. The most common are a faulty clutch cable, a leak in the clutch system, a faulty slave cylinder, master cylinder, throw out bearing, or a failing clutch.

A qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose your clutch issues and replace the slave cylinder or master cylinder if needed.