Q: How do I recharge the battery?

How do I recharge the battery?

While your battery shouldn’t need recharging under normal conditions, it might if it has been drained somehow (accidentally leaving the cargo compartment light on overnight, for instance). If that happens and you have the equipment, you can recharge the battery. Here’s how:

1. Make sure the ignition is off.

2. Open the hood.

3. Disconnect the ground wire.

4. Connect the battery charger (with the switch off).

5. Turn on the charger and leave the battery until it is fully charged.

6. Turn off the battery charger. Never disconnect the charger clamps while the charger is on.

7. Reconnect the ground.

8. Crank the engine.

Tips

• The battery produces hydrogen gas while charging. Avoid exposure to sparks or flame.

• If your car has the smart key system, it might not start immediately after recharging the battery. Put the transmission in park, turn the ignition off, open and close one of the front doors, and then crank it again.

• It’s always safer to completely remove the battery from the car when recharging.