Q: How do I really know if it is my ECM

OK my car start but it back fire and engine light is blinking. What does its mean

The ECM is not bad just because the check engine light is on or blinking. The check engine light is blinking when the ECM is detecting the engine has a problem of a misfire, or other possible issues. You should have the computer scanned to get the stored codes and then have the codes pinpoint tests done to see if you have a misfire or a sensor failure. When the full pinpoint test is done ad no other problems are found then the ECM may be at fault. Do not replace the ECM until thorough testing has eliminated all other possibilities.