Q: How do I read the tire specifications and labeling on the sidewall of a tire?

How do I read the tire specifications and labeling on the sidewall of a tire?

Tire labeling is important to understand – there’s a lot of information here, from tire size to treadwear ratings, to speed ratings and more. Here’s how it’s broken down:

• Size: Your tire will be sized like this – P255/50R17.

1: P stands for passenger.

1. 255 stands for the width of the tread measured in millimeters.

2. 50 stands for the tire’s “aspect ratio”.

3. R stands for “radial”.

4. 17 stands for the width of your car’s wheels/rims.

You’ll also see a number followed by a letter (93V, for instance).

1. 93 stands for the load rating of the tire.

2. V is the speed rating.

• How do I read the tire specifications and labeling on the sidewall of a tire?