Q: How do I read the tire labelling on the sidewall to ensure I get the right replacement?

How do I read the tire labelling on the sidewall to ensure I get the right replacement?

A: There’s a lot of information found on the s...

There’s a lot of information found on the sidewalls of your car’s tires. You’ll find the tire size, the maximum PSI rating for the tire, the speed rating, load limit and a lot more. Of course, you need to know how to read it. Here’s a quick primer:

Size: You’ll see the tire size as something like this – P205/55R16. Now, let’s break that down:

• P: Passenger

• 205: The width of the tire measured in millimeters

• 55: The aspect ratio of the tire

• R: Radial (as opposed to bias)

• 16: The size of your rim/wheel

After the tire size, you’ll find another number and letter combination, such as 89H.

Here’s what that mean:

• 89: The code indicating the maximum load for the tire

• H: Your tire’s speed rating