Q: How do I properly utilize the seat belts?

How do I properly utilize the seat belts?

By following a few simple guidelines with seat belt use, operating a vehicle will be a much safer experience. This vehicle is a modern truck loaded with safety equipment, but every feature from the airbag to the crumple zones rely on the seat belt holding the occupants in their seats. Seat belts are designed to hold adults in place. Any children or infants must be secured in car seats or booster seats.

1. Being in an accident will push you into whatever is around you. Keeping your feet on the floor in front of you will prevent injuries involving legs going through the windshield or windows and injuries involving the mouth impacting the kneecaps.

2. Keep the lap portion of the belt across the hips. Spreading the force of a crash out over such a large, strong bone is the safest way to deal with the forces involved.

3. The upper portion of the belt should never rest against the neck. It should always cross the chest and shoulder of the seat occupant.

Tip

Always make sure the seat belt is not twisted or tangled up on interior parts.

Never wear just the lap belt. The upper portion of the belt is extremely important for keeping the occupant in their seat.

3. How do I properly utilize the seat belts?