Q: How do I properly secure a car seat in the front passenger seat?

How do I properly secure a car seat in the front passenger seat?

A: The front passenger seat can safely hold a ...

The front passenger seat can safely hold a forward-facing car seat. The front passenger seat does have an airbag in front of it, but the airbag can either be manually turned off with the vehicle’s key via a switch in the glove compartment or, if there is not manual switch, the truck will sense whether or not a car seat is in the front passenger seat. Here’s how to install a child restraint, like a car seat or booster seat, into your vehicle:

1. Put the car seat on the center of the seat that you wish to secure it to and make sure it rests in a natural, level position.

2. Carefully read the manual to your car seat to ensure that you know how the seat belt should be properly looped through the child restraint and whether or not the seat needs to be tethered at the top to be secured.

3. Loop the lap and shoulder belts through the car seat and fasten the latch plate into the seat belt buckle. After it is secured, pull the shoulder belt all of the way out and then let it retract, as this will lock the belt in place. Push down on the car seat and pull on the shoulder bet to remove slack.

4. If the seat needs a top tether, then locate the top tether anchors either on the tops of the passenger seat or against the rear panel (regular cab only).

• If using the seatback-mounted tether anchors, loop the tether(s) through both the tether anchor on the seat the car seat is secured into and the center tether anchor.

• If using a tether anchor mounted onto the rear panel, then the tether needs to be uncovered and the tether(s) coming from the seat must not stretch over the headrest.

• Do not install a car seat in the center passenger seat. This is dangerous as the center seats, if available, are not designed to secure a car seat.

• Rear-facing car seats cannot be used in the front passenger seat. The airbag can be deactivated, but even the slight chance of it going off in a crash is too great. A child in a rear-facing seat during a crash is likely to suffer a broken neck or skull.

• Shake the seat around once it is installed to ensure that it is secure. If it moves more than an inch in any direction, tighten the seat belt or re-install the car seat.