Q: How do I program the HomeLink garage door buttons?

How do I program the HomeLink garage door buttons?

The HomeLink garage door buttons allow you to use buttons inside the cabin of your car to open and close your garage door. Before they work, however, you’ll have to program them to work with your specific garage door. Here’s how.

1. Insert your key into the ignition and turn it to ON/RUN.

2. Take the handheld garage door opener, and hold it with three inches of the HomeLink garage door button that you wish to program (located on the overhead console).

3. Press the button you wish to program, and the garage door remote button. Press these buttons simultaneously, and hold them down. During this time, the electronic vehicle information center (EVIC) should display the words “CHANNEL # TRAINING”.

4. When the EVIC displays the words “CHANNEL # TRAINED” you can let go of both buttons. This process can take as long as 30 seconds.

5. Locate your garage door motor, which is often hanging from the middle of the garage. There will be a button on it that says either “TRAINING” or “LEARN”. Press and release that button.

6. Return to the HomeLink button. Press and hold the programmed button for two seconds, then release, and press and hold for two more seconds. The EVIC should display “CHANNEL # TRANSMIT.”

Now your garage door will open and close when you press the corresponding HomeLink button.

Tip

This process only works on garage doors that have been built since 1995. You have 30 seconds to begin step 6 after completing step 5.